KAMAL NATH CONSTITUTES TEA ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Date : 23 Dec 2004
Location : New Delhi
Shri Kamal Nath, Union Minister of Commerce & Industry, has constituted a Tea Advisory Committee to monitor the implementation of the Action Plan prepared to follow up the recommendations that emerged at the Stakeholders’ Conference on challenges before Indian tea industry held in New Delhi on 16th and 17th September 2004.
The 31-member Committee is to be headed by the Additional Secretary (Plantations), Department of Commerce as Chairman and Chairman, Tea Board as Vice Chairman and deputy Secretary (Plantations), Department of Commerce as Member Secretary. Shri Vijay Jagannath will be Industry Coordinator.
The other members of the Committee which has representatives of tea producers; tea research; tea trade & auctioneers; small growers & bought leaf factories; labour welfare organisations; financial institutions; state governments and some other important personalities in tea sector, includes the following:
1. Chairman, Indian Tea Association --- Shri C.K.Dhanuka
2. Chairman, Tea Committee, UPASI --- Shri D.P.Maheswari
3. Chairman, Darjeeling Planters’ Association -- Shri K.S.David
4. President, Tea Association of India --- Shri Suresh Bansal
5. Chairman, Assam Tea Planters’ Association ---Shri D.N.Baruah
II. TEA RESEARCH :
1. President, Tea Research Association ---- Shri N.F. Tankariwala
III. TEA TRADE & AUCTIONEERS:
1. Chairman, Indian Merchant Tea Exporters ---Shri Rakesh Kaushik
2. Chairman, Calcutta Tea Traders’ Association- Shri Bharat Arya
3. Director, J. Thomas & Co. (Pvt.) Ltd. -- Shri Krishan Katyal
IV. SMALL GROWERS & BOUGHT LEAF FACTORIES:
1. President, Nilgiri Small Tea Growers Association, Coonoor --Shri M. Bhojrajan
2. President, North Bengal Tea Producers’ Association, Siliguri --Dr. Ajit Kumar Agarwala
3. President, All Assam Small Growers’ Association, Dibrugarh --Shri Gangadhar Saikia
V. LABOUR WELFARE ORGANISATIONS:
1. General Secretary, Assam Cha Mazdoor Sangha, Dibrugarh --Shri M.S. Khandait, Member, Tea Board
2. President, Nilgiri District Estates Workers Union, Coimbatore --Shri P.L. Subbiah, Member, Tea Board
3. Co-ordination Committee of Tea Plantation Workers, Jalpaiguri --Shri Chitta Dey, Convenor
VI. FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS:
1. Indian Banks Association ---- Shri H.N. Sinor, Chief Executive Mumbai
2. NABARD, Mumbai ---- Shri Y.K. Thorat, Managing Director
VII. STATE GOVERNMENTS:
1. Nominee of Government of Assam not below the rank of Principal Secretary.
2. Nominee of Government of West Bengal not below the rank of Principal Secretary.
3. Nominee of Government of Tamil Nadu not below the rank of Principal Secretary.
4. Nominee of Government of Kerala not below the rank of Principal Secretary.
VIII. SOME OTHER IMPORTANT PERSONALITIES IN TEA:
1. Shri S.K. Dhall, Executive Director (Plantations), Hindustan Lever Ltd., Kolkata.
2. Shri M.A. Alagappan, Vice-Chairman, Murugappan Group,Chennai
3. Shri A. Mukherjee, President, Sales & Marketing, George Williamson (Assam) Ltd., Kolkata.
4. Shri Ajit Thomas, Chairman, A.V.Thomas Group, Chennai.
5. Shri Ashok Kumar Bhargava.
6. Shri H.P. Barooah, Chairman, Barooah & Associates, Kolkata.