Government of India
Ministry of Commerce
New Delhi, the 12th August, 1992.
PUBLIC NOTICE OF INVESTIGATION
Subject:- Initiation of anti-dumping investigation in respect of import of Bisphenol-A from Japan.
M/s. Kesar Petro-Products Ltd., Bombay have submitted a petition in proper form alleging dumping of Bisphenol-A in India.
2. In accordance with Rule 7(1) of the Customs Tariff (Identification, Assessment and Collection of Duty or Additional Duty on Dumped Articles and for Determination of Injury) Rules, 1985, the petitioner alleges that Bisphenol-A from Japan is being or is likely to be sold in the Republic of India at less than normal value within the meaning of said rule 5 read with rule 17 and that these imports are materially injuring or threatening material injury to an industry in the Republic of India.
3. The petitioner has stated that it has a standing to file a written request on behalf of the affected domestic industry.
SCOPE OF INVESTIGATION
4. The product covered by these investigations is Bisphenol-A falling under Customs Heading based on Harmonized system of nomenclature No. 29072300. The item is manufactured out of Phenol and Acetone and used for the production of Epoxy Resins, Polycarbonate etc.
REPUBLIC OF INDIA PRICES AND FOREIGN MARKET VALUE IN RESPECT OF IMPORT FROM JAPAN
5. The petitioner has based its estimates of Republic of India prices in respect of Bisphenol-A on quoted prices C& F India. According to the petitioner, the price quotations are for subject merchandise which has been sold in the Republic of India after importation by or for the account of the exporter and, therefore, the petitioner has calculated export sale price based on C & F port of entry prices.
6. The petitioner alleges dumping margin at around 25% for Japan.
7. The petitioner also alleges that the domestic industry in the Republic of India is seriously affected as they are unable to market at the prevailing market price.
8. There is a reasonable indication that imports of Bisphenol –A from Japan are materially injuring or threatening material injury to a Republic of India industry.
9. Therefore, I am initiating anti-dumping investigation as to the existence, degree and effect to alleged dumping of the said article.
(Dr. G. Sundaram)