MINISTRY OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY
(Department of Commerce)
Directorate General of Anti-dumping & Allied Duties
New Delhi, the 17th September 2003
Subject: Anti-dumping investigations concerning import of Butter Oil from New Zealand.
No. 14/49/2002-DGAD - Having regard to the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 and the Customs Tariff (Identification, Assessment and Collection of Anti Dumping Duty on Dumped Articles and for Determination of Injury) Rules, 1995,thereof:
1. The procedure given below has been followed with regard to the investigations:
(i) The Designated Authority (hereinafter referred to as Authority), under the above Rules, received a written petition from Centre for International Trade in Agriculture & Agro based Industries, New Delhi (hereinafter referred to as CITA) alleging dumping of Butter Oil from New Zealand (hereinafter referred to as subject country).
(ii) The Authority notified the High Commission of the subject country about the receipt of dumping allegation before proceeding to initiate investigations in accordance with sub-rule 5(5) of the Rules.
(iii) The Authority issued a Public Notice dated 26th November, 2002, published in the Gazette of India Extraordinary initiating Anti-dumping investigations concerning imports of Butter Oil classified under Custom Head 040500 of Schedule I of the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 originating in or exported from the subject country.
(iv) The Authority forwarded a copy of the Public Notice to the known exporters, whose details were made available by CITA and gave them an opportunity to make their views known in writing within forty days from the date of the letter.
(v) The Authority forwarded a copy of the Public Notice to the known importers, whose details were made available by CITA, and advised them to make their views known in writing within forty days from the date of the letter.
(vi) The Authority provided copies of the non-confidential petition to the known exporters and the High Commission of the subject country in accordance with Rule 6(3) supra.
(vii) The period of Investigation was for the period 1st April 2001 to 30th September 2002.
(B) PRODUCT UNDER CONSIDERATION:
2. The product involved in the present petition is Butter Oil (hereinafter referred as subject good). Butter Oil is classified under Chapter Custom Head 040500 of Schedule 1 of the Customs Tariff Act under Heading 040500.
3. In response to the questionnaires, detailed submissions were made by the interested parties. The issues like standing of domestic industry, like article and impact of injury etc were raised by the interested parties. In order to deliberate on these issues, the Authority held Public Hearings on 4th March, 2003, 21st May, 2003 & 25th June, 2003. A domestic visit was also conducted to the works of M/s. Anantraj Proteins Ltd. at Agra, Uttar Pradesh. The Authority was in the process of addressing the issues raised by all the parties concerned. However, in the meantime, CITA has submitted a request withdrawing the petition.
(D) REQUEST FOR WITHDRAWAL OF INVESTIGATIONS
4. CITA vide their letter dated 8.9.2003 has requested the Designated Authority to treat the petition filed by them for Anti-dumping investigations against Butter Oil imported from New Zealand as withdrawn.
5. Therefore, in terms of Rule 14(a) of Rules supra, the Designated Authority hereby terminates this investigation which was initiated vide notification No. 14/49/2002-DGAD dated 26th November, 2002 against imports of Butter oil from New Zealand.