IMPORT OF 300 SENSITIVE ITEMS DOWN BY 12 PERCENT APRIL-AUGUST 2001 IMPORT DATA FOR SENSITIVE ITEMS
Date : 05 Oct 2001
Location : New Delhi
The total import of 300 sensitive tariff lines for the period April to August 2001 has been Rs. 4032 crore against Rs. 4587 crore for the corresponding period of last year thereby showing a negative growth rate of 12%. This figure may undergo some revision after validation of commodity codes because of the possibility of some items having been inadvertently misclassified by the importers. Provisional estimates of commodity group-wise imports from April-August 2001 as compared to April-August 2000 are enclosed. The ‘others’ group in the enclosed statement comprises wheat flour, sugar, cigarettes and salt. This group has also registered a decline.
2. At the broad group level of commodities, imports indicate significant increase only in respect of Spices and Rubber. In the fruits & vegetables segment, even though there is a sharp decline at the broad group level from Rs.707 crore to Rs. 251 crore, there has been signific ant increase in respect of Pistachios from Rs. 17crore to 57 crore & Apples from 12 crore to 22 crore.
3. In the edible oil segment, the imports have declined from Rs.2623 crore last year to Rs. 2587 crore for the corresponding period this year. A significant feature of edible oil import is that while imports of Soya bean & palm crude oil have gone up, that of refined Soya bean & palm oil has gone down leading to better utilisation of the processing capacity in the country. However, import of Sunflower oil, both crude & refined, has gone down.
4. On the basis of the country of origin, the data reveals significant decrease in imports from Indonesia, Malaysia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Russia, Guinea Bissau, Thailand, New Zealand, Mali &China.
5. Imports from Brazil, USA, Nigeria, Iran, Uzbekistan & Chile have shown a significant increase.
6. The overall picture that emerges from these quick estimates is that the imports have responded to the customs duty changes and other import management measures put in effect in the recent months.
IMPORT OF SENSITIVE ITEMS- PROVISIONAL ESTIMATE
Value in Rs. Lakhs
||Milk & Milk Products
||Fruits & Vegetables
||Tea & Coffee
||Cotton & Silk
||Marble & Granite
||Products of concern to SSI (Umbrella, locks, toys, writing instruments, tiles, glassware etc.)
||Others (wheat floor, sugar, cigarette & salt)